There was more explanatory text here but it was eaten by trying to upload more than 128kb of photos.
Based on this recipe for cheese straws: - when I doubled it I got 103 star cookies + some for ‘testing’ purposes. This is undoubled quantities:
I didn’t use egg yolks, I used 1 whole egg instead of 2 yolks. Then add vegemite as required for your decorations or for sandwiching other cookies together.
- 375g/13oz plain flour
- pinch salt
- 225g/8oz butter, diced
- 150g/5½oz maturecheddar cheese
- 50g/1¾oz freshly gratedparmesan cheese (or a similar vegetarian hard cheese)
- pinch English mustard powder
- small pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 free-range eggs, yolks only *or just 1 egg
- Vegemite - marmite if you are a heretic
- Rub butter into flour; add other ingredients,
- Add 4-5 tablespoons cold water to bind it to a dough.
- Roll out the dough into flat pieces, refrigerate for 30 min, roll out as thin as required and stamp out shapes. (Anything that is yellow and black should work).
- I found it worked better to apply vegemite before baking, as then it cooks down into something less sticky/smeary. It was very fiddly doing vegemite eyes with the end of a skewer, but I think vegemite would be too thick to pipe ? Maybe if you watered it down and had a fine piping nib it’d work.
- Cheesymite cookies had a mixed reception but Jerry really liked them, and I have been specifically asked for savory options in the past + didn’t have any then.