Cheesymite (Cheese and vegemite cookies)

There was more explanatory text here but it was eaten by trying to upload more than 128kb of photos.

Here are photos in link format!

Based on this recipe for cheese straws: - when I doubled it I got 103 star cookies + some for ‘testing’ purposes. This is undoubled quantities:

I didn’t use egg yolks, I used 1 whole egg instead of 2 yolks. Then add vegemite as required for your decorations or for sandwiching other cookies together.

1. Rub butter into flour; add other ingredients,
  2. Add 4-5 tablespoons cold water to bind it to a dough.
  3. Roll out the dough into flat pieces, refrigerate for 30 min, roll out as thin as required and stamp out shapes. (Anything that is yellow and black should work).

Notes:

• I found it worked better to apply vegemite before baking, as then it cooks down into something less sticky/smeary. It was very fiddly doing vegemite eyes with the end of a skewer, but I think vegemite would be too thick to pipe ? Maybe if you watered it down and had a fine piping nib it’d work.
  • Cheesymite cookies had a mixed reception but Jerry really liked them, and I have been specifically asked for savory options in the past + didn’t have any then.
1 Like