Chipotle Brownies (dairy free!)

So I have been informed (by Kintyre) that certain Enforcers at South took a liking to my chipotle brownies, so here is the recipe for anyone wanting to make them. I didn’t (and probably won’t) ship any to any PAX events that I don’t attend since they are best eaten within a few days of being baked (I’m pretty sure I saved these for the very end of my baking for South and baked them the Wednesday before South so they were super fresh), and with shipping time and whatnot I’d be afraid they’d get stale by the time they arrived if I tried shipping them to East or Prime, so those of you who are local for those events, please feel free to make them in my stead. :slight_smile:

2oz bittersweet chocolate (I use the Baker’s chocolate that comes in squares, but you can also use dark chocolate chips)
4oz (1/2 cup) coconut oil, preferably virgin/unrefined
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4-1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder

In a large bowl, combine the bittersweet chocolate and coconut oil. In a microwave or over a double boiler, heat the chocolate/coconut oil mixture until melted (I do mine in 20-30 second increments in the microwave at 70% power, stirring after each zap, but to be sure the chocolate doesn’t scorch, it’s safer to do it over a double boiler, especially if you’ve never melted chocolate before.) When the chocolate/coconut oil mixture is melted and smooth, add the sugars and vanilla and mix to fully combine. Add the eggs and mix well. Add all the dry ingredients and fold in until just combined.

Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 inch square baking sheet with cooking spray (can also line with parchment paper if you’d like, but I’m always too lazy to do this step with brownies.) Spread the batter out into the pan (it will be pretty thick) and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. A toothpick should come out with moist crumbs when inserted into the center.

This recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 9x13 inch pan. Increase the baking time by 5-10 minutes. Keep a close eye on them and don’t overbake.

You can leave out the chipotle powder and have regular brownies. You can also do things like add nuts, chocolate chips, or dollops or raspberry jam and swirl it around with a knife after the batter is in the pan for raspberry-swirl brownies.

Adapted from this recipe: http://www.spoonfulofflour.com/2013/07/coconut-oil-brownies.html

Thank you! Omega will be a very happy enforcer.