How do you choose?

Hi there!

I’m going to my third PAX this year and am interested in participating in more community things this year, one of which might be the cookie brigade. You folks have supplied me with plenty of line munchies. Very good line munchies, I might add.

While I’m trying to decide on my plans, I have a question. How do you decide what type of items to make? Is there a list of “most wanted” or is it more a matter of what recipes you can consistently produce in bulk?

Most wanted is always chocolate chip. They’re drop cookies, so you can make a lot of them quickly, which is also good. After that, highly desirable is pretty sugar cookies, but they’re not very economical time-wise to make. Really, it’s up to you what you want to do. Baking is a lot of work, and time, and materials out of your own pocket, so really, do what you want to do!

People also like:
Bacon Chocolate Chip
Double Chocolate Chip
Interesting Rice Krispee treats (like, with crazy fun weird things in them)
Peanut Butter

Now that it’s a four day event (and we also brigadier on Thursday at the Sheraton gaming area so really FIVE DAYS), bakers are pretty essential!

(Also, since I mentioned the Thursday Sheraton gaming, if you want to do more out-of-event events, you should hit it up if you haven’t before.)

How did I choose? I know gluten free is always needed so I went with Monster Cookies. I also know that I was starving and a cookie that was more substantial would be welcome, again Monster Cookies. I had most of a bottle of sriracha so I used it up in Peanut butter sriracha cookies. Chocolate chip are always in demand, so I made those. That was about it.

This year I’ll be making Monster, chocolate chip and something with nutella. Because I have a ton left over and the nutella monster variation didn’t turn out well.

Crazy cookies are a great draw. We were really short on rice krispie treats last year. I guess it’s whatever you feel like making.

So it sounds like it’s mostly a “wing it” thing, but there are a couple of items that are always in demand.

Thanks for the advice. I may have more questions as things creep closer.

FYI, the peanut butter/sriracha sounds amazing.

Ooh, and if you like being popular with the morning crowds, Oatmeal and Rice Krispie treats are in super high demand before noonish. :slight_smile:

Personally I have my signature cookie that I make every time, and then add other essentials like chocolate chip and a weird one if I have time, but I bake on a much smaller scale than some others. Every little bit helps though!

I ended up making “Double Chocolate Chocolate/White Chocolate Chip”. My wife said they were horrible and offered to take them off my hands and dispose of them.