Recipe: Hidden Treasures

(Pulled over from the old Google Groups site)

Keeping in line with this month's challenge, I poked around a bit and found the recipe for cookies a friend and I once made for our 6th grade teacher as a Christmas gift. I had gotten the recipe out of a magazine from around the time (Fall 1995), so I can't take any credit for it, but it's no less delicious. Since it was a published recipe, it was easy to find online (yay!). Enjoy!

Hidden Treasures

2/3 cup of Butter Flavored (heart stopping) Crisco

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1 Tablespoon of milk

1 teaspoon of vanilla

1-3/4 cup of all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon of baking powder

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/2 teaspoon of baking soda

48 maraschino cherries, well drained on paper towels

White dipping chocolate:

1 cup white melting chocolate, cut in small pieces

2 Tablespoons Butter flavor or Golden Crisco

Dark dipping chocolate:

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

2 Tablespoons Butter flavor or Golden Crisco

Preheat oven to 350 F. 

Cream Crisco, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. 

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Beat into creamed mixture at low speed. 

Divide into 48 equal pieces. Press dough into very thin layer around well-drained cherries. 

Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet.

Dipping Chocolate:

Melt the chocolate of your choice and Crisco in a double boiler. 

Or, place chocolate of choice and Crisco in glass measuring cup, microwave at 50% power level for one minute and stir. Repeat until smooth. 

Drop one cookie at a time into chocolate. Use a fork to turn over, covering them completely with chocolate. 

Lift the cookie out of chocolate with fork, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off.

Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheet. 

Sprinkle whatever you'd like on top of the cookies. Chopped nuts, colored sugar sprinkles, anything! I personally prefer red and green sprinkles on white chocolate dipped cookies.

Chill in fridge to set chocolate.