[recipe] vegan sugar cookies (nut free, optional soy free)

http://www.vegan-heartland.com/2012/10/halloween-sugar-cookies.html

***i haven’t made this icing yet. i’ll let you know if it doesn’t get hard. if you have a favorite royal icing recipe, go with that.

Cookie Ingredients:

[ul][li]2/3 cup shortening[/li]
[li]1/2 cup white sugar[/li]
[li]1/4 cup brown sugar[/li]
[li]1/2 tsp vanilla extract[/li]
[li]1/4 cup applesauce[/li]
[li]4 tsp non-dairy milk (So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk, flax milk etc.)[/li]
[li]2 cups all purpose flour[/li]
[li]1 1/2 tsp baking powder[/li]
[li]1/4 tsp salt[/li]
[li]Frosting and Sprinkles for decoration (note: some sprinkles aren’t vegan. look for “confectioner’s glaze” in the ingredients list. lots of vegans avoid that. also gelatin is avoided by most.)[/li][/ul]
Thoroughly cream the shortening, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add in the applesauce and beat until light and fluffy. Stir in the non-dairy milk.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Blend in with the creamed mixture.

Chill the dough for 1 hour. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. After the dough has been chilled, roll out on a floured surface and cut into your favorite holiday shapes. Place the shapes on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 6-8 minutes until the edges become golden brown. Top with icing and sprinkles. They’re even delicious without the decorations!

Royal Icing Ingredients:

[ul][li]1 cup powdered sugar[/li]
[li]2 tsp non-dairy milk[/li]
[li]2 tsp agave nectar[/li]
[li]1/4 tsp vanilla extract[/li]
[li]Any food coloring you want[/li][/ul]
In a small bowl stir together the powdered sugar and non-dairy milk. Beat in the agave and vanilla until the icing is smooth and glossy. If the icing is too thick - try adding more non-dairy milk or agave nectar until it reaches the desired consistency.
Divide the icing into separate bowls and different food coloring to each bowl. Dip the cookies or paint them with a brush or icing spatula.

:update 2018:
aquafaba (chickpea brine as egg substitute) has become a thing, and there is a recipe that looks extremely promisingvia Gabriella Michetti on the aquafaba facebook group (the photos are beautiful!)
[size=small]https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganMeringue/permalink/386499528204386/

[/size]Vegan Royal Icing Recipe
[font=arial][size=small]- According with my previous experience with traditional royal icing to develop this recipe I simply used aquafaba instead of egg white/albumen and adapted the quantity of the other ingredients.

40 g aquafaba
270/290 g sifted icing sugar
2 drops apple vinegar

Place the aquafaba into the bowl of a mixer. Stir in the icing sugar and place the bowl into the machine. Beat as slowly as possible using the K beater.

Beat for 20-25 minutes until the icing is stiff enough to hold its shape.

Accordingly with my personal experience the quantity of sugar and the length of time to reach the right consistency depend also on the humidity of environment.[/size][/font]