Space Invaders Candy

Hard Candy Recipe

Ingredients:

[ul][li]2/3 cup corn syrup[/li]
[li]2 cups granulated sugar[/li]
[li]3/4 cup water[/li]
[li]food coloring (liquid or gel works best)[/li]
[li]candy flavoring oils (I used LorAnn, extracts won’t work)[/li]
[li]Sour Salt / Citric acid - this is optional but it makes the candy incredibly tasty and adds a zing to the flavor, you can often find this in canning supplies.[/li][/ul]

Tools:

[ul][li]Candy Thermometer - Like this one[/li]
[li]Metal chop stick or a metal stirrer (weird I know)[/li]
[li]4 Cup Pyrex Measuring Cup - measuring cup MUST be able to withstand 300F+[/li]
[li]Small pot holder[/li]
[li]Pot that can hold 4+ cups, I recommend stainless steel[/li]
[li]Tin foil[/li]
[li]Candy Molds - very important, ensure these are molds for hard candy, not chocolate. Chocolate molds will MELT. Silicon molds are also fine, just ensure they are food safe and good up to 450F[/li]
[li]Pam or similar cooking spray. Not bakers joy.[/li]
[li]Confectioners Sugar[/li]
[li]Gallon size ziplock bags[/li][/ul]

Instructions:
First cover your working area with tinfoil. Including a spot next to the pot to lay tools on, and under your molds. Its much easier to clean up and the candy won’t stick as readily to foil. After this you’ll want to place your pyrex cup on the foil next to the pot.

Second lay out your molds. I recommend its a space close to the stove and at a comfortable height. Once the molds are laid out lightly spray them with cooking spray and then blot off the excess with a paper towel. If you don’t the candy will stick and be a pain in the tuckus to remove. As a note you only need to do this for the first batch if you are making multiple batches and will need to anytime you wash the mold with soap.

Now you’re ready to start making the candy.

[ul][li]Mix in a pot the sugar, corn syrup and water. Make sure its stirred well! Turn on the heat and continue to stir the mixture until it has a less grainy feel.[/li]
[li]Clip your candy thermometer to the pot, make sure the bulb isn’t touching the bottom of the pot but is completely submerged. You want the tip to be near the center of the pot not on the side.[/li]
[li]It should reach 220F fairly quickly, the steam at this point will start to dissipate. Continue to watch the temperature.[/li]
[li]At 300F turn off the heat and move the pot to another burner do not let it go higher then 310F. Wait for the temperature to drop down to 290F before proceeding.[/li]
[li]Remove the thermometer and set it on the foil. Add a few drops of your coloring and mix it in the pot and then quickly and safely pour the contents of the pot into your pyrex measuring cup. [/li]
[li]Now add the flavoring (.5-1ml I use an eyedropper) and 1-2 tsps of sour salt. Use the metal chop stick or stirrer to mix the goo.[/li]
[li]Grab the measuring cup by the handle and use the pot holder to support the bottom and carefully begin to pour into your molds. DO NOT OVERFILL THEM! Pour slowly but steadily. You have about 5-10 minutes to complete your pouring before it starts to solidify. This really just takes practice but you’ll get it![/li]
[li]Once you’ve finished pouring put your measuring cup in the sink and fill it with hot water, do the same for the pot and place your tools inside the pot that got the sugar mixture on them. It takes about an hour for the water to dissolve the candy.[/li]
[li]Take out a gallon sized zip lock bag and fill it with 1/4 - 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar.[/li]
[li]The candy will take time to cool, and it’ll depend on the type of mold you used. Hard plastic candy molds will cool faster, 10-20 minutes. Silicon molds take longer, 20-30 minutes. However once it has cooled and hardened carefully pop the candy out of the molds onto the foil. Move them from the foil to the gallon sized zip lock bag[/li]
[li]The confectioners sugar will keep them from sticking together, ensure you shake the bag to completely cover them. For storage I recommend keeping them in the freezer.[/li][/ul]

Congrats you’ve just made tasty hard candy.

Edits - Step 4 adjustments for temperature and wait period before adding the coloring. Keeps the color more true.

Is this a “guess the preparation directions” game? :slight_smile:

Seriously though, these were a hit for those who put their cookie desires away to try them?

[quote=“vttym, post:2, topic:1169”]
Is this a “guess the preparation directions” game? :slight_smile:

Seriously though, these were a hit for those who put their cookie desires away to try them?[/quote]

No, apparently it decided to eat half of the post. cue sad trombone

Fixing the post now, and investigating whether it was human error or if the server ate it.

Fixed!

Apparently it didn’t like the degrees symbol in the original post. ::slight_smile:

Edit: GAH facepalm

So do you make these all year long? I figure hard candy lasts forever, especially in the freezer. It would be cool to start making something now while I’m all excited from ticket buying.

[quote=“kintyre, post:5, topic:1169”]
So do you make these all year long? I figure hard candy lasts forever, especially in the freezer. It would be cool to start making something now while I’m all excited from ticket buying.[/quote]

I make them throughout the year for various stuff. They do last though in the freezer. I have some root beer ones that we saved for my boyfriend from the batch I made for East 2012. He doesn’t eat much candy so we still have some, and they’re still tasty. ;D

I am still much better with gummy candy than hard candy, but there are two things that I tend to do differently. First of all, instead of using a lot of tinfoil, I pretty much swear by silicone baking mats. They are heat resistant, reusable, and when you drip on the mat, just let it cool, and you can eat the mess!

The second thing is that I appreciate the fact that I am a bit of a klutz, and really, really would not want to end up going to the ER with sugar burns. Therefore, I tend to take the disher that I use for making truffles, and just have the amount of sugar that is actively being poured moving at a time. I’ve found that 1-2 scoops fills most individual molds, and limits stray syrup going where it shouldn’t.

Also, if you want to find cheap citric acid, check to see if there’s an Indian grocery store near you. I’ve found relatively large bags of it there for far cheaper than anywhere else I’ve looked.

[quote=“Lilty, post:7, topic:1169”]
I am still much better with gummy candy than hard candy, but there are two things that I tend to do differently. First of all, instead of using a lot of tinfoil, I pretty much swear by silicone baking mats. They are heat resistant, reusable, and when you drip on the mat, just let it cool, and you can eat the mess!

The second thing is that I appreciate the fact that I am a bit of a klutz, and really, really would not want to end up going to the ER with sugar burns. Therefore, I tend to take the disher that I use for making truffles, and just have the amount of sugar that is actively being poured moving at a time. I’ve found that 1-2 scoops fills most individual molds, and limits stray syrup going where it shouldn’t.

Also, if you want to find cheap citric acid, check to see if there’s an Indian grocery store near you. I’ve found relatively large bags of it there for far cheaper than anywhere else I’ve looked.[/quote]

I’ve tried to do gummy candy and never had any success. I had pretty good luck finding citric acid cheap this year because of the interest locally in canning.

I have one silpat mat, I actually never thought of using it, I’ve gotten pretty good at minimizing the mess and pouring, but that might be useful for near the stove for tools.

Where did you find the Space Invaders candy molds? The candy looks awesome by the way. Nice work.

You can find them at ThinkGeek.

Thanks, I went and looked it up at Think Geek. I love that site

Very cool, I didn’t realize that ice cube mold could take heat. I’ll have the older style blue tray rather than the new green one so I’ll be checking to see if the older one is heat safe too.

Thanks!

Silicone as an ingredient is tolerant up to about 425 degrees F. I find them good for chocolate work, which would never exceed 90 degrees as a crazy high temp (yay crystals!). I would recommend checking the labels on any molds, because often they will say what temperatures they can withstand. I have never run into any issues with melting or off-gassing with any of the thinkgeek molds; the only problem I’ve had is getting gummy candy out of the batman mold (it sticks).

Made my first batch tonight. Turned out well but the flavor did not distribute evenly so some taste like the flavoring and others just taste sweet. I did use the recommended flavoring and amount so I think I didn’t stir enough. I had fun and will try again. Also I’ll either need to cut down the recipe or get a second mold so I don’t waste as much candy next time.