Introduce Yourself

Please feel free to introduce yourself and let us know why you’re here.

A fan of the brigade? Interested in becoming a brigadier? Just looking for some awesome recipes?

No matter what the reason welcome!

Hi,

I’m Dwayne (and apparently the first person to introduce himself on this thread). I’ve been baking for the last 5 years, and I’ve been attending PAX Prime for the last 3, but this is the first time I’ve decided to combine the two.

I specialize in the ridiculous, with things like Oreo-Stuffed Cookies, Chocolate Marshmallow Pudding Cake, Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie, and Fire & Ice Cupcakes. (Although only one of these things qualifies as “cookies”). Obligatory photo album: http://imgur.com/a/oJDMi

I’ve dabbled in baking for charity before. This year, I organized the first ever bake sale for charity at my office and raised just over $2000 for charity. (Me and about 40 other bakers, so I can’t take sole credit for this.) So it sounds like Cookie Brigade is right up my alley. I’m doing a whole bunch of cookie experiments this year, and I plan on writing the book “Everything I Know About Cookies”, and give out copies of that book for donations. (It’ll prolly have to be an e-book to minimize costs.) I already have a pretty awesome honey cookie recipe I’d like to share with the world.

All of those sound super tasty!

Hmmm… that brings up an interesting point. I know we can’t say we’re giving cookies for donations, but can we put together a PDF and put it on a ton of thumb drives and hand that out for a certain amount donated?

[quote=“Viltris, post:2, topic:1193”]
Hi,

I’m Dwayne (and apparently the first person to introduce himself on this thread). I’ve been baking for the last 5 years, and I’ve been attending PAX Prime for the last 3, but this is the first time I’ve decided to combine the two.

I specialize in the ridiculous, with things like Oreo-Stuffed Cookies, Chocolate Marshmallow Pudding Cake, Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie, and Fire & Ice Cupcakes. (Although only one of these things qualifies as “cookies”). Obligatory photo album: http://imgur.com/a/oJDMi

I’ve dabbled in baking for charity before. This year, I organized the first ever bake sale for charity at my office and raised just over $2000 for charity. (Me and about 40 other bakers, so I can’t take sole credit for this.) So it sounds like Cookie Brigade is right up my alley. I’m doing a whole bunch of cookie experiments this year, and I plan on writing the book “Everything I Know About Cookies”, and give out copies of that book for donations. (It’ll prolly have to be an e-book to minimize costs.) I already have a pretty awesome honey cookie recipe I’d like to share with the world.[/quote]

Welcome Dwayne! Actually this is a brand new thread for the forums. I archived the old brigadier introductions thread as it was 14 pages and several years old so I figured we’d start fresh. We just moved to new forums, two weeks ago give or take. This open area for people who aren’t yet Brigadiers is brand new.

Those Fire & Ice cupcakes look awesome! And yes you’re definitely in the right place and if you are going to bake for PAX Prime you’ll want to check out the brigadier application itself. We can always use people willing to donate awesome stuff or distribute or both.

$2000 is awesome, I was actually thinking about putting together some guidelines for people who might want to run their own mini Cookie Brigade events at work or such to raise money for Child’s Play. Mostly because I was thinking about doing that myself over the holidays.

Oh and my introduction! I’m Ran, aka Ransim. I’m one of the brigade organizers and also the current tech person for the brigade. I primarily help with logistics and fiscal for PAX East and also dabble in Distributor herding. I love baking, but my oven only burns things, so I make Space Invaders candies for PAX.

[quote=“paulf, post:3, topic:1193”]
All of those sound super tasty!

Hmmm… that brings up an interesting point. I know we can’t say we’re giving cookies for donations, but can we put together a PDF and put it on a ton of thumb drives and hand that out for a certain amount donated?[/quote]

That’s actually a really good idea, a couple years ago me and Lexi were discussing the recipe book project and kept hitting logistics issues with printing and costs. But a PDF on a thumb drive or even available digital with a suggested donation box on the page would work really well too, we could even use the new Child’s Play widget to do that.

I’m kintyre. Long time fan, first time volunteer, hopefully. My cookies aren’t extraordinary but they are edible. We try to donate/partake every time a brigadier comes by and I’ve always wanted to help. I’d really like tips on packaging and carrying for distribution.

Hi!

I’d like to become a Brigader :slight_smile: I love baking, and I’ve worked a lot in program planning/outreach events before (mostly in healthcare and higher ed). Here is a little something I made with a friend about a year ago http://imgur.com/YcUx0Kk . This will be my first year at PAX, and I would love to get involved or at least donate.

Hey there, I’d like to become a brigadier although I will be donating cookies that someone else made cause I can’t do it myself :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi!

I’m Emily. I did manage to snag passes for Prime, so this will be my 4th PAX. Oddly, I’ve seen more about the Cookie Brigade on Twitter than I have in person at the event.

I have a tasty coconut macaroon recipe that is only a few ingredients and takes next to no time, so I would LOVE to donate cookies to the cause. Do the bakers usually package them for distribution? Just curious.

I do live in the Seattle area, so I could help in the days leading up to the event.

Welcome guys!

And yeah brigadiers can be elusive at events, there are very few of us compared to the size of the venue and the amount of attendees.

Lindabear that cake is awesome, I’m going to show a friend who is a huge hello kitty nerd. ;D

From the PAX forum with the same user name. Been donating for cookies at the 2 PAX’s for years now, figure maybe this time around I’ll be a bit more active and actually donate some cookies (though admittedly, I’m more of a chef/griller than baker). I’m classically trained in culinary via Le Cordon Bleu, though I’ve never worked in the industry (I’m in IT security, went to culinary academy just because I thought it might be an interesting hobby). Local to the Seattle area.

As I’m not a baker, I’m going to be relying upon someone else’s recipes. Scanning my bookshelf, 2 that jump out to me right away are Tom Douglas’s coconut macaroons (courtesy Dahlia Bakery cookbook) or something called “Car-co-doodles”, a recipe from the amazing Leslie Mackie from within her “More from Macrina” cookbook, which features recipes from Seattle’s famed Macrina Bakery (to those who are not local to the area - seriously, you have to go there at least once). The former is self-explanatory, the latter appears to be a fusion of a snickerdoodle, a chocolate chip cookie, and a caramel press. I’ve never had one, but it looks delicious.

I’d be a poor candidate to distribute, or to be reliable to help organize during the event (just being honest here - during the event, I’m gonna be about the event), but I can at least contribute something awesome to the cause :slight_smile: .

As an aside: Seattle locals within the brigade who were NOT able to secure badges this year…I’ll be hosting a number of tabletop gaming events at the Columbia Tower Club between now and PAX. Show up to some of them. Come and say hi to me. I’m not going to say how many extra badges I managed to secure/keep away from the re-selling horde that assaulted the site yesterday - let’s just say that I’m very good at hooking friends new and old up w/ badges @ somewhere between free and face value, and I’ll have no problems helping out people willing to sacrifice their PAX time for a great cause by helping them actually get in to PAX :).

Hi, I’m Lilybell. There are some awesome people in this group.

I make crappy sugar cookies (not really but made with geek love), even crappier geek crafts and live by the beach.

[quote=“lilybell, post:11, topic:1193”]
Hi, I’m Lilybell. There are some awesome people in this group.

I make crappy sugar cookies (not really but made with geek love), even crappier geek crafts and live by the beach.[/quote]

_> was going to say totally not crappy…

Hi all!

My name is Sara and I’m a professional baker located in PDX. I currently work in a wonderful gluten free bakery, and can knock out some tasty goodies for the PAX attendees with allergies. Or not. Mmm, butter and gluten. This will be my second PAX, and after seeing all of the cookies distributed last year I knew I wanted to do something to help the cause.

[quote=“neuroticsilence, post:13, topic:1193”]
Hi all!

My name is Sara and I’m a professional baker located in PDX. I currently work in a wonderful gluten free bakery, and can knock out some tasty goodies for the PAX attendees with allergies. Or not. Mmm, butter and gluten. This will be my second PAX, and after seeing all of the cookies distributed last year I knew I wanted to do something to help the cause.[/quote]
<3 gluten free bakeries

Hi all!

My name is Sara and I’m a professional baker located in PDX. I currently work in a wonderful gluten free bakery, and can knock out some tasty goodies for the PAX attendees with allergies. Or not. Mmm, butter and gluten. This will be my second PAX, and after seeing all of the cookies distributed last year I knew I wanted to do something to help the cause.[/quote]

Hey I’m from PDX too! We should collaborate if you’re planning on getting involved too.

Hi my name is Brigette aka Rhea_Starstorm, I am a long time supporter and nommer of the cookie bridage first time baker. I’m in PDX I saw a few others are and would be interested in any sort of get together. I think I am going to bake some m&m cookies and blue thumb print cookies with mashinco cherries. I would also love to bake geeky cookies but haven’t done any so if any one has ideas for those I’d love a recipe or tips. My fiance will also being helping out (he just isnt as active on the forums as I am).

Hi all!

Hi Sara,

I live in PDX curious which gf bakery is yours? as we have so many wonderful ones.

Hello, I’m Bean. I’m a U.S. Army veteran turned shepherdess, and I spend my days geeking out on the edge of the grid, raising heritage breeds of livestock on a homestead in Scio, Oregon. I’m interested in baking for you wonderful folks in the Cookie Brigade, and just dumped my application on your collective lap.

I have extensive experience baking for large groups, mostly for pow-wows, veterans gatherings, and my own massive clan. I specialize in exotic spices and low sugar whole grain baking, which sounds pretty mundane until you consider that my grains are homegrown & ground in my turn of the century stone mill. I can generally mill about 50 lbs of flour in a few hours, so it’s not really a big stretch to whip out a bunch of cookies for you guys.

Sadly, I suck at distribution. I’m gimpy, gruff, and busy in my duties as an Enforcer, so I hope that just baking is an option.

Hello, I’m Natasha. :slight_smile: I’m excited to be baking for the first time this year. I really enjoy baking and bake cookies for my family every year for Christmas. My dad has 10 siblings, so I end up doing a lot of baking (I also end up making banana bread that my mom and dad hand out and supply all the ingredients for.) I like to make simple but yummy things. I made two cakes and the cupcakes for my cousin’s baby shower last month, and my sister and I attempted (and succeeded!) to make a zebra print cake/cupcakes for her birthday a couple of weeks ago.
But my favorite is always baking cookies. I plan on making chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin, because that’s just what I always make. If my mom feels like helping, I might make some sugar cookies too. Oatmeal raisin are my favorite kind of cookie.
My husband and I attend PAX Prime together. This year we managed to get tickets for two days (we were only able to attend one day last year) so I feel lucky! We’ve been married for 8 years and have one daughter who is turning four in May. I’m a full time student, full time stay at home mom.
I think this group is awesome and I’m excited to be helping!!!

Hallos!

I’m DashD (or Georgina), I love to bake and love PAX, ‘13 will be #5 for me. I didn’t hear about the Brigade until too late to help out last year :’( , so I figured I would jump on it early this year!